Using apprenticeship qualifications to upskill your workforce

Highlighting a skills gap can help to make your teams thrive and succeed. When a team member says they want to learn, or haven’t done it that way before, it could be as simple as a gap in their skills. They have everything else, the right attitude, experience etc and what you are now provided with is an opportunity to upskill and improve the training and knowledge within your workplace.

The first question is how much and how long will it take? It doesn’t have to cost a fortune and doesn’t have to involve recruiting new team members who may already have the required skills. By doing a quick skills gap analysis you can understand what your teams are capable of and the areas where they are willing to learn – and that is the most important bit.

Nurture in-house talent

There is no better place to look than at your in-house talent. They know your company, your policies, your ethos and values. Your team members hold a particular skill for their role – they are the experts so why not develop them even further? By exploring the changes in training and in particular, changes in apprenticeship training, you can create a development programme that nurtures talent and helps improve staff morale.

Apprenticeships are for everyone. They don’t need to be a young person leaving school, and there are more than 111,000 employees across the UK over the age of 25 carrying out training via apprenticeships. The range of apprenticeships are growing each week due to new apprenticeship standards and the costs are more efficient than you may think with incentives from the Government available.

Training costs

For example, if you have a wage bill of less than £3 million, you only pay 10% towards the cost of training with the Government funding the remaining 90%. Which means, upskilling an employee in Customer Service or Accountancy up to Level 3 could cost as little as £240* per year for three years. Without the 90% funding, the course would cost £9,700.

Book a training consultation with one of our training experts

Using apprenticeships, as part of your training and development budget can help to ensure that your workforce is motivated and learning new skills.

Benefits of upskilling

  • Improves staff performance and productivity
  • Allows staff to grow and develop in their roles
  • Transferable work skills providing more opportunities to grow within your company.

For more advice on upskilling existing employees contact one of our partnerships team or read our ultimate guide ‘How much does it cost to actually train your staff?’

Book a training consultation with one of our training experts


 rushton-blog-profileBlog by Steve Rushton, Partnerships Director, PM Training
 Follow Steve on Twitter @StephenRushton4 

linkedin_sign_253882

* All pricing correct at time of publishing.